According to the State Provisional Constitution of Virginia, “That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.” Therefore Virginia’s gun laws come with fewer restrictions. In Virginia, carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited except for people who have a valid concealed handgun permit. Therefore if you are planning to buy a handgun then you should be worried about the permit especially if you are planning to carry it concealed.
Acquiring a concealed handgun permit is not that difficult and you need to do the following:
First of all you need to ensure that you qualify for the permit. To qualify for the permit you need to be 21 years old. It is also important that you check with the Circuit Court where you reside for any local procedures that might be applicable to you regarding the concealed carry weapon permit. If you have any questions related to the application in any form, they should be directed to the court.
You can download the form (SP-248 for Concealed Handgun Permit) from the following website: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/downloads/SP-248_Application_for_Concealed_Handgun_Permit_Rev_7-1-2010.pdf
Also according to the Virginia’s firearms law, the court will require proof that you have the ability to handle a handgun so it is compulsory that you take one of the following courses:
- The Department of Game and Inland Fisheries offer educational courses for hunters that you can take or some related course with the same department of another state.
- NRA (National Rifle Association) firearms safety or training course.
- Any safety and training courses related to firearms in a class environment offered to the general public taught by a junior college, college, law-enforcement organization, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services
- Show evidence of enough experience with a gun through use in organized shooting competitions or current military service or a proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services
- Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in Virginia or any other state except if such license has been canceled for cause
- Firearms training or safety course or class through a medium like an electronic, video, or on-line course, carried out by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor
- Governmental police agency firearms training course that qualifies you to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties
- Any training course and law-enforcement firearms safety course or classes, taught or attended by security guards, special deputies, investigators, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement
- Any firearms training which the court considers sufficient
Also you shall not be required to submit any additional competence with handguns if you have already done one of the things mentioned above.
For more information regarding the permit, visit the following website: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_VFTP.shtm
Where to get a gun in Virginia?
In Virginia, guns for sale seem to be easy to acquire. Many outlets such as physical stores and online stores are available for you to buy guns. In fact you can buy used guns for sale from online stores. Before you buy guns from sale in Virginia, make sure that you do proper research.
Buy and Sell Guns in Virginia at Virginia guns for Sale